Asian Style BBQ Mushroom Sandwiches© 2022 Wicked Foods Inc. All rights reserved.
Mushrooms cook down with garlic to form one of the best canvases we know for sweet-and-spicy barbecue sauce. Even the aroma is mouthwatering. We crave this loaded into fluffy hamburger-style buns with onions and pickles, but the mushrooms are also great in tacos, on salads or just by themselves (grab a fork!).
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp (6 g) kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) Wicked Kitchen™ Asian Style Barbecue Sauce
- 4 sandwich rolls, split
- 1/4 cup (30 g) pickled red onion or thinly sliced red onion
- Sliced cucumber pickles, for serving
- Discard the shiitake stems then slice the caps thin.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and salt; the skillet will be full, but the mushrooms will cook down quickly. Cook, frequently stirring until all their liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms brown around the edges, about 12 minutes. Mince up the garlic, then add it to the pan and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the barbecue sauce. Fill the sandwich rolls with mushrooms, some onion, and pickles. Any extra mushrooms will keep refrigerated for 3 days.
If you don’t have shiitake mushrooms, use baby bella (cremini). Or use a mix!
To make quick pickled red onions, pour about 1/2 cup (120 ml) pickling liquid from your cucumber pickles into a small container. Thinly slice 1/4 of red onion, add to the pickling liquid and let stand at room temperature for a few hours. Keeps chilled for up to a week!