Vegan Steak Pie
© 2022 Wicked Foods Inc. All rights reserved.
Big, bold flavours topped with flaky puff pastry. This beautifully meaty pie with chunky veg and soya “steak” pieces is perfect for a Sunday centrepiece for two. Serve this vegan steak pie with a side of your fave steamed veg or with sauteed kale.
- Yield: 2 - 4 servings 1x
- 1 T vegan bouillon powder
- 1 t marmite
- 2 dried shiitake mushroom
- 200ml boiling water
- 50g soya chunks
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 t dried sage
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t mustard powder
- 2 carrots, around 150g once peeled and diced
- 1 medium Maris piper potato, around 200g once peeled and diced
- 2 T plain white flour
- 3 T vegan red wine
- 2 T dark soy sauce
- 200ml water
- 1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
- 3 T soy milk or soy cream
- 1/2 t agave syrup
- In a small bowl, combine the bouillon, marmite, shiitake mushrooms and boiling water. Stir well to make sure the bouillon and marmite are dissolved. Add the soya chunks, stir and cover with a plate or lid. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the shallots and the garlic. Fry for a few minutes or until the onions are becoming translucent before adding the bay leaves.
- Drain the soya chunks but reserve the soaking water and shiitake mushrooms. Add the soya chunks to the saucepan and fry for a further few minutes. Add the dried herbs, mustard powder, carrots and potatoes. Stir well and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the plain white flour and stir to coat all the veggies and soya chunks. Add the red wine and soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Remove the shiitake mushrooms from the reserved soaking water and finely chop. Add the chopped shiitakes along with the reserved soaking water to the saucepan and stir. Follow with the 200ml water. Bring back to a simmer and allow to bubble away for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a shallow baking tray in order to allow it to cool. Leave to cool on the counter for at least 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200c/390f.
- Once the mixture is cooled, transfer to a suitable pie dish (the filling should be around half a cm from the surface of the pie dish – if the dish looks too full, use a different one as you’ll find too much of the filling will escape).
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut to size (you want to aim for just larger than your pie dish). Gently score the top of the puff pastry with a sharp knife in a diamond design then place over the pie dish. Use a fork to crimp the edges, trim off any excess pastry and use a sharp knife to make a small hole in the centre of the pie to allow steam to exit.
- In a small bowl mix together the soy milk/cream and the agave syrup to make your “egg” wash. Brush the surface of the pie with the wash.
- Place on a baking tray and place in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes. Watch closely during the last 5 minutes to make sure the top of the pie doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan steak pie