Biscuit Banana Custard Pots
© 2022 Wicked Foods Inc. All rights reserved.
A super easy and delicious dessert – somewhere between a cheesecake, a trifle and a dessert pot! It takes a little setting time but is simple to put together and incredibly rewarding.
- Prep Time: 4 hrs 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- 2 1/8 cups (500ml) unsweetened plain soy milk
- 3 Tbsp vegan custard powder, such as Birds
- 5 1/2 Tbsp (70 g) superfine/caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 16 digestive biscuits or Lotus Biscoff cookies (125 g)
- 5 Tbsp (70 g) vegan butter
- 3 bananas
- Vegan whipped cream spray for topping
- Place 4 Tbsp (60 ml) of the soy milk in a medium bowl. Add the custard powder and sugar in a medium bowl then whisk together until a smooth paste forms.
- Place the remaining 1 7/8 cups (440 ml) soy milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring nearly to a boil. Gradually whisk the hot soy milk into the custard powder paste until completely combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.
- While stirring constantly, heat the custard until it’s thick, 3-5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 g) of the vegan butter and stir until combined. Transfer the custard to a small baking tray, spreading it evenly (it will cool faster in a tray than in a bowl). Cover with greaseproof paper or plastic wrap, making contact with the top of the custard to make sure it doesn’t form a skin. Allow to cool to room temperature then place the tray of custard in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and pulse until ground to a sandy texture. Melt the remaining 3 1/2 Tbsp (50 g) of the butter and add to the processor, pulsing until incorporated. Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, divide the crumbs between 4 glasses or jars (save a few crumbs for garnish). Chop the bananas into semicircles and add those on top of the crumbs. Cover and place the glasses in the fridge to keep chilled.
- Once the custard is chilled, transfer it from the tray to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on high speed until smooth and glossy. Transfer the custard to a piping bag then divide between the 4 glasses, topping the bananas and biscuits but leaving around 1/2 inch (1-cm) space at the top of each glass.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with the vegan cream and a sprinkle of extra biscuit crumbs.
Keywords: biscuit banana custard pots
Most custard powder is just cornstarch and vanilla extract with some natural food colouring, but be sure to check the ingredients for whichever brand you choose. Some contain milk powder so obviously avoid these ones.