Creamy Orzo with Fennel
© 2022 Wicked Foods Inc. All rights reserved.
A silky smooth, creamy orzo packed with fennel, aromatic fresh dill, and toasted fennel seeds. A perfect mid-week meal or stay-home date night!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 40g vegan butter
- 8g fennel seeds
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 x fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 300g orzo
- 150ml dry white wine
- 800ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch of fresh dill
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the vegan butter followed by the fennel seeds. Toast until fragrant and beginning to quietly pop, then remove the seeds from the pan with a spoon, leaving behind the vegan butter. Set the fennel seeds aside.
- Place the saucepan back over medium heat and add the onion. Fry until beginning to soften then add the garlic. Fry for a further minute before adding the sliced fennel. Fry for 3-4 minutes but do not let the fennel brown.
- Add the orzo followed by the wine and stir well. Reduce the heat slightly and cook until the wine has mostly evaporated. Add some of the stock and stir well.
- Keep adding the stock, little by little until the orzo is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with the fresh dill before serving.
Keywords: creamy orzo with fennel