BBQ Sausage Rolls with Street-Cart Onions
© 2022 Wicked Foods Inc. All rights reserved.
A twist on classic sausage rolls with a smoky BBQ flavour, a mild mustard kick and beautifully sweet caramelised onions – the kind you’d get on a New York City street-vendor hot dog! Plant-based puff pastry is the key here. In the UK, Jus-Roll sells a 320 g (11.25 oz) sheet of pastry made with vegetable oils. In the US, Pepperidge Farm sells 2 similar sheets of pastry at 17.3 oz (490 g). Just thaw the sheets and use the amount specified in the recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: Serves 6
- 1 large sheet (550 g) vegan ready rolled puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 onions
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 Wicked Kitchen BBQ No Pork Burgers (450 g total)
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp soy milk
- Pinch of sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC), and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Remove the puff pastry from the fridge and set aside to come to room temperature.
- Halve and thinly slice the onions. Heat a large frying pan and add the vegan butter. Once melted, add the onions and fry, stirring often, until softened and gently browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the liquid smoke, dark soy sauce, maple syrup, red wine vinegar and a pinch of flaky sea salt and pepper. Fry for another 5 minutes, but do not let the onions burn. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, unroll the pastry and cut to create two squares. Open the Wicked BBQ No Pork Burgers and place in a medium bowl. Use your hands to squeeze the burgers into a rough paste. Divide the paste in half and roll into 2 cylinders, each slightly longer than the width of the pastry squares.
- Divide the cooked and cooled onions into two portions then spread in a line down the centre of each square. Drizzle the onions with the mustard then top with the burger cylinders.
- Roll up the squares of pastry into two separate rolls then chop each roll crosswise into 4 lengths. Transfer the rolls to the baking sheet and brush the surface with the soy milk. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and a little flaky sea salt. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with more mustard.
Wicked’s BBQ No Pork Burgers are the perfect filling for these vegan sausage rolls because they’re incredibly meaty but packed full of BBQ flavour. The onions pair wonderfully with the pork-style texture and everything works incredibly harmoniously!
The key to perfect onions in this scenario is to cook them low and slow. It’s best to take at least 10 minutes to cook them before adding the smoky BBQ flavourings.
When rolling sausage rolls, keep all the fillings to one side. This will make it easier to wrap them in pastry without everything squeezing out one end.
For the perfect crispy pastry on your sausage roll, be sure to brush with soy milk before baking. I like to sprinkle with sesame seeds too, but any seed will do! Poppy Seed is another favourite!